Find out what menu items have no wheat ingredients and may be gluten-free from Dunkin Donuts. Plus what you need to know about eating out on a gluten-free diet.
Note: I am a proud Amazon, Chomps, MunkPack, and Thrive Market affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy here.
If you love swinging by Dunkin Donuts every once in a while for a quick breakfast or snack, you may have been wondering what menu items are safe for you on your gluten-free diet.
When it comes to ordering food from fast food restaurants or coffee shops, it’s important to know what the company’s stance is on allergens, what they’re going to disclose about their products and ingredients, as well as what items they see as gluten-free or wheat-free.
In this post, we’re going to talk about one of the most popular coffee and donut shops, Dunkin Donuts, and find out what exactly you can order from the menu to help you stick with your gluten and dairy-free diet.
But first, let’s go over some of the basics about gluten and how it shows up in many fast food and quick serve restaurants.
Read on: Do donuts have dairy?
What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in most wheat products, and acts as the “glue” that helps to hold wheat, barley, kamut, spelt, farro, durum, bulgur, rye, and semolina together to maintain their shape.
Gluten is naturally occurring, and therefore is impossible to strip away from the grain. If a grain naturally has gluten in it, there’s no way to make that food gluten-free.
Where can you find gluten in food?
Gluten can be found in the form of wheat and grain products, like bread of flour in the more obvious places. You can also find gluten as a binding ingredient, an ingredient added for texture like to make a food more crispy, or as a thickening agent.
Where can you find gluten in many fast food restaurants?
Depending on the fast food restaurant you’re visiting, you may find gluten in a variety of places. Hamburger buns, the breading of crispy chicken sandwiches or chicken nuggets, some French fries, salad dressings, croutons on salad, and chili or soup options.
Pizza dough is most often made with wheat flour which contains gluten. Flour is also used to dust work spaces for making and forming dough, so a risk of cross contamination is high in pizza restaurants.
Where gluten is found in the menu items will vary from restaurant to restaurant. That’s why it’s always a good idea to review menus from home, and see if you can find any allergen information before you get to the restaurant itself.
Being able to review nutritional information and allergen statements before visiting a fast food restaurant can be the difference between ordering something that you think is safe for your gluten-free diet and getting sick, and being knowledgeable about what specific menu items you’ll be able to eat without any worries of later reactions.
What to know about cross contamination at fast food restaurants
Most fast food restaurants are not considered gluten free establishments so it’s useful to keep this in mind when making decisions about where to go and what to order.
It’s important to know that even if a fast food restaurant claims that their menu items do not contain gluten, that the possibility and probability of gluten in their products is going to be high if there is even one menu item with gluten available.
Depending on your level of sensitivity to gluten, this can be make or break information for you. If you are Celiac and are allergic to trace amounts of gluten, you’ll likely want to avoid most fast food restaurants that offer any bread products or French fries that are cooked in a shared fryer with other gluten-containing ingredients.
If you are not sensitive to gluten at the trace level and have adverse reactions to gluten due to a food intolerance, you may decide that these trace amounts of gluten from cross contamination are worth risking for a quick, easy, and convenient food option.
Being aware of how you have reacted to gluten in your diet in the past and how much gluten it takes for your body to react is useful knowledge when it comes to situations like these. Use your best judgment about what you know about your body, how you react to gluten, and what the risks are for you specifically.
Dunkin Donuts Allergen Statement
In the Allergen and Ingredient Guide put out by Dunkin Donuts, they have a note that states:
“All products are prepared in restaurant and may have come into contact with Eggs, Milk, Peanuts, Soy, Tree Nuts, Wheat, Fish, or Shellfish.”
We can see that this company is making sure it’s clear you know as a consumer that there is a chance and high likelihood of gluten contamination in most of their food and drinks.
They also have this note at the bottom of their PDF guide:
“Dunkin’ has made a reasonable effort to provide allergen and ingredient information based upon standard product formulations. Test products, limited time offers and regional menu variations may not be included and not all items listed may be available in all restaurants. The information on these materials may vary from that which may be available in our restaurants.”
Are donuts gluten-free?
Most donuts you can buy at stores and bakeries contain gluten in the form of all-purpose flour or enriched flour, or a blend of flours suited for baking.
If you follow a gluten-free diet and love donuts, you may want to find a brand that offers gluten-free options or buy ingredients and learn to make them at home on your own.
Read on: Are donuts gluten-free?
Read on: 25 gluten-free donut recipes.
Dunkin Donuts Gluten-free Menu Items
After reviewing the Dunkin Donuts Allergen and Ingredient Guide, the following items do not have allergens or allergen warnings listed for wheat.
This doesn’t mean that these are gluten-free options, but that they are LESS likely to contain wheat or gluten, because it is not labeled as such by the company. Cross contamination is still likely and probable even among these menu items.
This information was recorded in March 2022 and the table was last updated February 10, 2022. The items with an asterisk (*) below also do not contain milk allergens.
Limited Time Products
These are listed in a section of their own in the Allergen and Ingredient table. These are presumably menu items that change out seasonally.
- Blueberry Oat Cold Brew*
- Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew with Cream
- Salted Caramel Cream Cold Brew, Black
- Salted Caramel Signature Hot Latte
- Salted Caramel Signature Iced Latte
- The Charli Cold Foam
- Toasted Almond Cold Brew*
- Vanilla Cold Brew with Sweet Cold Foam
- Irish Creme Swirl Frozen Chocolate
- Irish Creme Swirl Frozen Coffee
- Irish Creme Swirl Hot Cappuccino
- Irish Creme Swirl Hot Coffee
- Irish Creme Swirl Hot Latte
- Irish Creme Swirl Hot Macchiato
- Irish Creme Swirl Iced Cappuccino
- Irish Creme Swirl Iced Coffee
- Irish Creme Swirl Iced Latte
- Irish Creme Swirl Iced Macchiato
- Shamrock Hot Macchiato
- Shamrock Iced Macchiato
- Vanilla Oatmilk Iced Matcha Latte
- Bacon & Cheddar Omelet Bites
- Egg White & Veggie Omelet Bites
- Sweet Black pepper Snacking Bacon
These are the menu items on Dunkin Donuts menu that contain no wheat ingredients. This doesn’t mean they are considered gluten-free. In fact, there is still a high probability of cross contamination with gluten in this restaurant. However, these are the menu items listed that have no wheat ingredients.
- Cold Brew Coffee*
- Nitro Cold Brew Coffee*
- Blue Raspberry Coolatta*
- Strawberry Coolatta*
- Vanilla Bean Coolatta
- Peach Passion Fruit Dunkin’ Coconut Refresher*
- Strawberry Dragonfruit Dunkin’ Coconut Refresher*
- Blue Raspberry Dunkin’ Energy Punch Powered by Monster Energy*
- Strawberry Dunkin’ Energy Punch Powered by Monster Energy*
- Peach Passion Fruit Dunkin’ Refresher*
- Strawberry Dragonfruit Dunkin’ Refresher*
- Caramel Swirl Frozen Chocolate
- French Vanilla Swirl Frozen Chocolate
- Frozen Chocolate
- Caramel Swirl Frozen Coffee
- French Vanilla Swirl Frozen Coffee
- Frozen Coffee
- Mocha Swirl Frozen Coffee
- Frozen Chai Latte
- Frozen Dunkaccino
- Frozen Matcha Latte
- Caramel Swirl Hot Cappuccino
- French Vanilla Swirl Hot Cappuccino
- Mocha Swirl Hot Cappuccino
- Box ‘O Joe Hot Chocolate
- French Vanilla Dunkaccino
- Hot Chocolate
- Mint Hot Chocolate
- Original Hot Chocolate
- Cafe Au Lait
- Caramel Swirl Hot Coffee
- French Vanilla Swirl Hot Coffee
- Hot Coffee
- Mocha Swirl Hot Coffee
- Cafe con Leche
- Caramel Craze Signature Hot Latte
- Caramel Swirl Hot Latte
- Chai Hot Latte
- Cocoa Mocha Signature Hot Latte
- French Vanilla Swirl Hot Latte
- Hot Latte
- Matcha Hot Latte
- Mocha Swirl Hot Latte
- Caramel Swirl Hot Macchiato
- French Vanilla Swirl Hot Macchiato
- Hot Macchiato
- Mocha Swirl Hot Macchiato
- Vanilla Spice
- Bold Breakfast Black Tea*
- Chamomile Fields Herbal Infusion*
- Cool Mint Herbal Infusion*
- Decaf Breakfast Black Tea*
- Harmony Leaf Green Tea*
- Hibiscus Kiss Herbal Infusion*
- Iced Americano*
- Caramel Swirl Iced Cappuccino
- French Vanilla Swirl Iced Cappuccino
- Iced Cappuccino
- Mocha Swirl Iced Cappuccino
- Caramel Swirl Iced Coffee
- French Vanilla Iced Coffee
- French Vanilla Swirl Iced Coffee
- Iced Cafe Au Lait
- Iced Coffee*
- Mocha Swirl Iced Coffee
- Almondmilk Iced Matcha Latte*
- Caramel Craze Signature Iced Latte
- Caramel Swirl Iced Latte
- Chai Iced Latte
- Cocoa Mocha Signature Iced Latte
- French Vanilla Swirl Iced Latte
- Iced Latte with Almondmilk*
- Iced Latte with Coconutmilk*
- Iced Latte with Oatmilk*
- Iced Latte
- Matcha Iced Latte
- Mocha Swirl Iced Latte
- Caramel Swirl Iced Macchiato
- French Vanilla Swirl Iced Macchiato
- Iced Macchiato with Coconutmilk*
- Iced Macchiato with Oatmilk*
- Mocha Swirl Iced Macchiato
- Iced Green Tea Sweetened*
- Iced Green Tea Unsweetened*
- Iced Tea Sweetened*
- Iced Tea Sweetened Blueberry Flavored Tea*
- Iced Tea Sweetened Raspberry Flavored*
- Iced Tea Unsweetened
- Iced Tea Unsweetened Blueberry Flavored Tea*
- Iced Tea Unsweetened Raspberry Flavored Tea*
- Sweet Tea*
- Sweet Tea Blueberry Flavored*
- Sweet Tea Raspberry Flavored*
- Extra Thick Shake – Chocolate
- Extra Thick Shake – Coffee
- Extra Thick Shake – Vanilla
- Frozen Coffee Float
- M&M’s Mix-in
- Strawberry Coolata Float
- Dunkin Decaf K-Cup Pod*
- Dunkin Midnight K-Cup Pod*
- French Vanilla K-Cup Pod*
- Ground Dunkin Decaf Packaged Coffee*
- Ground Dunkin Midnight Packaged Coffee*
- Ground French Vanilla Packaged Coffee*
- Ground Hazelnut Packaged Coffee*
- Ground Original Packaged Coffee*
- Original Blend K-Cup Pod*
- Whole Bean Original Blend Packaged Coffee*
- Bold Breakfast Black Packaged Tea*
- Chamomile Fields Herbal Infusion Packaged Tea*
- Cool Mint Herbal Infusion Packaged Tea*
- Harmony Leaf Green Packaged Tea*
- Hibiscus Kiss Herbal Infusion Packaged Tea*
- Decaf Breakfast Black Packaged Tea*
- Avocado Spread*
- Butter Packet
- Butter Spread with Canola Oil
- Classic Plain Cream Cheese Spread
- Garden Veggie Cream Cheese Spread
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Spread
- Hash Browns*
Read on: Are hash browns gluten-free?
Are Dunkin egg bites gluten-free?
While none of the products at Dunkin Donuts are considered gluten-free by the company, their omelet egg bites are listed as not containing and wheat ingredients.
Use your best judgment based on what you know about your level of sensitivity to gluten to determine if this is a food you want to eat on your gluten-free diet.
You may or may not be surprised to find that many of their drinks and only a handful of their food items (that aren’t even necessarily real food but condiments) are wheat-free. Dunkin Donuts doesn’t have much in the way of food for folks who are avoiding wheat and gluten ingredients.
Of course, if you love Dunkin coffee and drinks, you are in luck with this brand. If you’re hoping to stop by for donuts as well, your best bet is to keep on driving.
More Gluten-free Restaurant Menu Items
If you’re looking at other popular restaurants and wondering what gluten-free menu items they offer, be sure to check out my Gluten-free Restaurant Guide. I’ve outlined all the gluten-free options from 45+ popular restaurants and fast food chains.
- Gluten-free Fast Food: Options from Major Chains
- Gluten and Dairy-free Diet: 4 Restaurant Tips
- Applebee’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Arby’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Blaze Pizza Gluten-free Menu Items
- Boston Market Gluten-free Menu Items
- Buffalo Wild Wings Gluten-free Menu Items
- Burger King Gluten-free Menu Items
- California Pizza Kitchen Gluten-free Menu Items
- Cheesecake Factory Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chick-Fil-A Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chilis Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chipotle Gluten-free Menu Items
- Cracker Barrel Gluten-free Menu Items
- Crumbl Cookies Gluten-free Menu Items
- Culver’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Denny’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Domino’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Dunkin Donuts Gluten-free Menu Items
- Einstein Bros Bagels Gluten-free Menu Items
- Firehouse Subs Gluten-free Menu Items
- First Watch Gluten-free Menu Items
- Five Guys Gluten-free Menu Items
- IHOP Gluten-free Menu Items
- Jack In The Box Gluten-free Menu Items
- Jimmy John’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- KFC Gluten-free Menu Items
- Little Caesar’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Longhorn Steakhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- McDonald’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- MOD Pizza Gluten-free Menu Items
- Nothing Bundt Cakes Gluten-free Menu Items
- Olive Garden Gluten-free Menu Items
- Outback Steakhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- Panda Express Gluten-free Menu Items
- Panera Gluten-free Menu Items
- Papa Johns Gluten-free Menu Items
- Papa Murphy’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- P.F. Chang’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Pizza Hut Gluten-free Menu Items
- Qdoba Gluten-free Menu Items
- Red Lobster Gluten-free Menu Items
- Red Robin Gluten-free Menu Items
- Ruby Tuesday Gluten-free Menu Items
- Shake Shack Gluten-free Menu Items
- Smashburger Gluten-free Menu Items
- Sonic Gluten-free Menu Items
- Starbucks Gluten-free Menu Items
- Subway Gluten-free Menu Items
- Taco Bell Gluten-free Menu Items
- Texas Roadhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- Wendy’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Whataburger Gluten-free Menu Items
- Wingstop Gluten-free Menu Items