Find out what menu items from Jack In The Box do not contain gluten and what you need to know about their gluten-free options.
Note: I am a proud Amazon, Chomps, MunkPack, and Thrive Market affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy here.
If you love grabbing a burger on the way home from a busy day of work or like the ease of having dinner on the go once in a while, you may have swung by a Jack In The Box at one time or another.
Jack In The Box is known for their burgers, fries, shakes, salads, and tacos. They also have a dedicated late night menu, kids menu, and breakfast menu.
On a gluten-free diet, finding quick drive thru options is a little harder than if I could eat anything in my diet. That’s why I’ve been digging into some specific restaurant menus and websites to discover what I can order – and most importantly, if it’s safe to order from different restaurants.
In this post, we’re going to dig into the Jack In The Box menu, allergen statement, and discuss a little bit about how they handle gluten and other ingredients in their kitchens.
We’ll talk about the menu items that contain no gluten ingredients at all – and what you need to know about cross contamination too.
But before we get into that, let’s make sure we cover some of the basics first. Let’s talk about what gluten is, where you can find it, and where you’re most likely to come upon it at fast food restaurants.
What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in most wheat products, and acts as the “glue” that helps to hold wheat, barley, kamut, spelt, farro, durum, bulgur, rye, and semolina together to maintain their shape.
Gluten is naturally occurring, and therefore is impossible to strip away from the grain. If a grain naturally has gluten in it, there’s no way to make that food gluten-free.
Where can you find gluten in food?
Gluten can be found in the form of wheat and grain products, like bread or flour in the more obvious places.
You can also find gluten as a binding ingredient, an ingredient added for texture like to make a food more crispy, or as a thickening agent.
Where can you find gluten in restaurants?
Depending on the restaurant you’re visiting, you may find gluten in a variety of places.
At fast food restaurants, there will be gluten in hamburger buns, the breading of crispy chicken sandwiches or chicken nuggets, some French fries, salad dressings, croutons on salad, and chili or soup options.
At other restaurants, you’ll find gluten in flour in sauces, in pizza or other pastry dough, pasta, and as a thickener in some soups.
Where gluten is found in the menu items will vary from restaurant to restaurant. That’s why it’s always a good idea to review menus from home, and see if you can find any allergen information before you get to the restaurant itself.
Being able to review nutritional information and allergen statements before visiting a fast food restaurant can be the difference between ordering something that you think is safe for your gluten-free diet and getting sick.
Being knowledgeable about what specific menu items you’ll be able to eat without any worries of later reactions is crucial to sticking with your gluten-free diet.
Jack In The Box allergen statement
Jack In The Box provides the following information on their Nutrition Facts PDF as found on their website.
“Like most restaurants, our restaurants prepare and serve products that contain Egg, Fish, Milk, Soy and Wheat.
While a particular ingredient statement may not list one of these allergens, our products may be prepared with equipment that is shared with products containing one or more of these allergens.
If you have a food allergy, please consult with your physician before deciding which Jack in the Box products are right for you.”
What you need to know about the gluten-free options at Jack In The Box
Jack In The Box provides a one-page PDF document with their nutrition facts and allergens on their website. You can find information for milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, crustacean shellfish, soy, and wheat.
It’s important to know that none of the menu items from Jack In The Box are ever considered “gluten-free.” This fast food restaurant has shared prep areas in their kitchen and don’t generally have dedicated utensils or ingredients for folks who are trying to stick with a gluten-free diet.
None of their burgers, chicken, or breakfast options are considered safe for a gluten-free diet. Some of the options you can feel okay ordering if you aren’t sensitive to gluten at the amounts you might find from cross contact are some of their salads without croutons or dressing and their drinks.
While researching, I was glad to find out from this post that the french fries from Jack In The Box are supposedly are cooked in a dedicated fryer and do not share that fryer with any other items. This means that folks on a gluten-free diet don’t have to worry about cross contamination with this one specific menu item.
What to know about cross contamination at restaurants
Most fast food and carryout restaurants are not considered gluten-free establishments so it’s useful to keep this in mind when making decisions about where to go and what to order.
It’s important to know that even if a fast food restaurant claims that their menu items do not contain gluten, that the possibility and probability of gluten in their products is going to be high if there is even one menu item with gluten available.
Depending on your level of sensitivity to gluten, this can be make or break information for you.
If you are Celiac and are allergic to trace amounts of gluten, you’ll likely want to avoid most fast food restaurants that offer any bread products or French fries that are cooked in a shared fryer with other gluten-containing ingredients.
If you are not sensitive to gluten at the trace level and have adverse reactions to gluten due to a food intolerance, you may decide that these trace amounts of gluten from cross contamination are worth risking for a quick, easy, and convenient food option.
Being aware of how you have reacted to gluten in your diet in the past and how much gluten it takes for your body to react is useful knowledge when it comes to situations like these.
Use your best judgment about what you know about your body, how you react to gluten, and what the risks are for you specifically.
Jack In The Box Gluten-free Menu Items
The items listed here are not considered truly gluten-free by Jack In The Box, however they do not contain any gluten ingredients.
There is still a chance for cross contamination in the kitchen, so keep this in mind before determining if you will visit this fast food restaurant and if you will order any of these menu items.
Better For You
- Grilled Chicken Salad (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
Burgers & More
None of the Burgers & More menu items are considered safe for a gluten-free diet.
Chicken & More
None of the Chicken & More menu items are considered safe for a gluten-free diet.
- Chicken Club Salad with Grilled Chicken (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Chicken Club Salad with Julienne Chicken (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Grilled Chicken (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Julienne Chicken (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Side Salad (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Southwest Chicken Salad with Grilled Chicken (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Southwest Chicken Salad with Julienne Chicken (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Creamy Southwest Dressing
- Low Fat Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- Ranch Dressing
- Spicy Corn Sticks
Snacks & Sides
- French Fries (Small)
- French Fries (Medium)
- French Fries (Large)
- Side Salad (without salad dressing or crunchy toppings)
- Tree Top Apple Sauce Pouch
None of the Breakfast menu items are considered safe for a gluten-free diet.
Jack’s Munchie Meals
None of the Jack’s Munchie Meals menu items are considered safe for a gluten-free diet.
Old-Fashioned Shakes & Desserts
- Shake, Chocolate with Whipped Topping – 16 fl oz
- Shake, Chocolate with Whipped Topping – 24 fl oz
- Shake, Strawberry with Whipped Topping – 16 fl oz
- Shake, Strawberry with Whipped Topping – 24 fl oz
- Shake, Vanilla with Whipped Topping – 16 fl oz
- Shake, Vanilla with Whipped Topping – 24 fl oz
- French Fries (Kid’s)
- Tree Top Apple Sauce Pouch
- Value French Fries
- American Cheese
- Real Swiss Cheese
- Swiss Style Cheese
- Barbecue Dipping Sauce
- Buttermilk House Dipping Sauce
- Creamy Avocado Lime Dipping Sauce
- Franks Red Hot Buffalo Dipping Sauce
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Jack’s Good Good Dipping Sauce
- Pancake Syrup
- Sweet N’ Sour Dipping Sauce
- Creamy Bacon Mayo
- Creamy Ranch Sauce
- Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- Garlic Herb Butter
- Tartar Sauce
- Fire Roasted Salsa
- French’s Mustard
- Grape Jelly
- Grilled Onions
- Hot Taco Sauce
- Mayonnaise Packet
- Gold-n-Sweet Spread
- Secret Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Strawberry Jam
- Diet Coke
- Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
- Dr. Pepper
- Diet Dr Pepper
- Barq’s Root Beer
- Fuze Iced Tea
- Fuze Zero Sugar Iced Tea
- Gold Peak Iced Tea
- High Mountain Arabica Coffee
- High Mountain Arabica Decaf Coffee
- Black Iced Coffee
- Vanilla Sweet Cream Iced Coffee
- Mocha Sweet Cream Iced Coffee
- Caramel Cream Sweet Iced Coffee
- Minute Maid 100% Apple Juice
- Simply Orange
- Dasani Bottled Water
If you’ve been wondering what’s gluten-free at Jack In The Box, I hope this information has been helpful for you to narrow down your options.
While their buns contain gluten, you can order their burgers with a lettuce wrap to help you avoid the biggest culprit of gluten on the menu.
Keep in mind that nothing on the Jack In The Box menu is truly considered “gluten-free,” as there is always the possibility of cross contamination.
Make your choice on whether or not to visit this restaurant based on what you know about your level of sensitivity to gluten and what you know about how your body reacts to amounts from cross contamination.
More Gluten-free Restaurant Menu Items
If you’re looking at other popular restaurants and wondering what gluten-free menu items they offer, be sure to check out my Gluten-free Restaurant Guide. I’ve outlined all the gluten-free options from 45+ popular restaurants and fast food chains.
- Gluten-free Fast Food: Options from Major Chains
- Gluten and Dairy-free Diet: 4 Restaurant Tips
- Applebee’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Arby’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Blaze Pizza Gluten-free Menu Items
- Boston Market Gluten-free Menu Items
- Buffalo Wild Wings Gluten-free Menu Items
- Burger King Gluten-free Menu Items
- California Pizza Kitchen Gluten-free Menu Items
- Cheesecake Factory Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chick-Fil-A Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chilis Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chipotle Gluten-free Menu Items
- Cracker Barrel Gluten-free Menu Items
- Culver’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Denny’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Dunkin Donuts Gluten-free Menu Items
- Einstein Bros Bagels Gluten-free Menu Items
- Firehouse Subs Gluten-free Menu Items
- Five Guys Gluten-free Menu Items
- IHOP Gluten-free Menu Items
- Jack In The Box Gluten-free Menu Items
- Jimmy John’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- KFC Gluten-free Menu Items
- Little Caesar’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Longhorn Steakhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- McDonald’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- MOD Pizza Gluten-free Menu Items
- Olive Garden Gluten-free Menu Items
- Outback Steakhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- Panda Express Gluten-free Menu Items
- Panera Gluten-free Menu Items
- Papa Johns Gluten-free Menu Items
- Papa Murphy’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- P.F. Chang’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Pizza Hut Gluten-free Menu Items
- Qdoba Gluten-free Menu Items
- Red Lobster Gluten-free Menu Items
- Red Robin Gluten-free Menu Items
- Ruby Tuesday Gluten-free Menu Items
- Shake Shack Gluten-free Menu Items
- Smashburger Gluten-free Menu Items
- Sonic Gluten-free Menu Items
- Starbucks Gluten-free Menu Items
- Subway Gluten-free Menu Items
- Taco Bell Gluten-free Menu Items
- Texas Roadhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- Wendy’s Gluten-free Menu Items