Find out if Subway offers gluten-free bread for folks who are on a gluten-free diet. Plus how this restaurant handles gluten ingredients.
Note: I am a proud Amazon, Chomps, MunkPack, and Thrive Market affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy here.
If you love to grab a quick bite to eat on a busy day, you may have wanted to make a healthy choice and opted for a sandwich from Subway. This restaurant has locations all over the US and is promoted as one of the healthier fast food options around.
With lean meats, loads of veggies, and options for lower fat dressings and condiments, it’s no wonder this “build your own sandwich” shop is so popular.
If you follow a gluten-free diet, you know that it can be super tricky to come across any restaurant, let alone a fast food place, that offers gluten-free options.
That’s why we’re going to answer this important question – does Subway have gluten-free bread?
We’ll talk in this post about Subway restaurants, what their gluten-free options are for sandwich bread and other menu items, plus discuss what you need to know about sticking with your gluten-free diet while ordering from here.
If you love Subway sandwiches and still want to eat gluten-free, don’t miss this post!
What is Subway?
Subway is a popular sandwich chain restaurant in the US. They offer made-to-order sandwiches with both cold cuts and warmed sandwich options, among other menu items.
So many people love Subway, because it’s easy to customize your order and get whatever bread, meat, cheese, and condiments you want. For many folks, it’s a no-brainer lunch option, especially if there’s one close to where you work.
What does Subway’s menu include?
Subway has a number of sandwich options, including cold sandwiches, toasted sandwiches with melted cheese, “no bready bowls,” wraps, breakfast sandwiches, and salads. They also offer sides, like chips, applesauce for kids, and cookies.
Most sandwiches come in either 6″ or 12″ sizes. You can order directly from their menu with specific ingredients, or order a sandwich based on the protein choice and build the ingredients around it.
For example, you could order a turkey sandwich, but have options for which bread, vegetables, sauces, and condiments that you wish to have on it.
Other menu items are more fixed (but still customizable), like their Fresh Melts which have specific bread, cheese, and toppings that they recommend.
You can always opt to change things on these menu items, but they have a standard “base recipe” that you order from.
What bread does Subway offer?
Subway currently offers these bread choices, according to the Subway website:
- Artisan Italian (White) Bread
- Flatbread, Artisan
- Flatbread, Multigrain
- Gluten-free Bread
- Hearty Multigrain
- Italian Herbs & Cheese Bread
- Jalapeno Cheddar Bread
- Monterey Cheddar Bread
- Parmesan Oregano Bread
- Wrap, Spinach
- Wrap, Tomato Basil
Though the website says these are the choices, it will depend on what your local Subway has to offer that day. Sometimes certain options aren’t always available, so keep that in mind before visiting.
Does Subway have gluten-free bread?
Some Subway restaurants offer gluten-free bread, but not all. Check with your local Subway before visiting to make sure they have a gluten-free bread option for you.
According to the Allergen Guide from Subway’s website, their gluten-free bread is considered “gluten-free” and contains less than 20ppm of gluten as tested. The bread in its container is considered gluten-free, as it is packaged and sealed.
That said, once the package is opened, there are no guarantees that this product will be gluten-free as there is gluten in all Subway restaurants and there is a chance for cross contamination.
This is what the Subway Allergen Guide states about their gluten-free bread:
“The Gluten-Free bread is manufactured in a Gluten-Free facility. However, other menu items and ingredients in our restaurants contain gluten and are prepared on shared equipment, so we cannot guarantee that our menu items are 100% gluten-free.”
Read on: Subway Gluten-free Menu Items
What ingredients does Subway’s gluten-free bread contain?
The ingredients listed in the Gluten-free Bread from Subway according to their US Product Ingredient Guide (updated in July 2022) are:
“Egg whites, cornstarch, modified cornstarch, tapioca starch, palm oil, sugar, distilled monoglycerides, contains less than 2% of the following: yeast, rice bran and germ, salt, natural flavor, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), pectin, xanthan gum, carbohydrate gum, guar gum, enzyme. Contains: Eggs.”
What else should I know about ordering gluten-free options from Subway?
It’s impossible to guarantee that anything from Subway is completely gluten-free since there are so many gluten ingredients in the kitchens. There will be a possibility for cross contamination in all Subway restaurants.
That said, if you request that a Subway employee change their gloves, cutting board, or knives while prepping your sandwich, they will very likely be happy to fulfill this request to help keep you safe and keep the risk of gluten cross contact low.
The other thing to know is that Subway offers other menu items that do not contain gluten aside from their sandwiches with gluten-free bread.
Try a “No Bready Bowl” or Salad without ingredients containing gluten to make another choice that’s likely to work with your gluten-free diet.
For a full list of ingredients that contain no gluten at Subway, be sure to check out the Subway Gluten-free Menu Items post.
If you like to visit Subway for a quick lunch or dinner option, I hope this post has helped you get the answers you’ve been looking for in relation to the bread choices at this fast food restaurant.
While Subway does offer gluten-free bread, there’s no guarantee that the restaurant as a whole can be sure there’s no cross contact while in the kitchen or preparation areas. Keep this in mind before visiting this restaurant and ordering from here on a gluten-free diet.
More Gluten-free Restaurant Menu Items
If you’re looking at other popular restaurants and wondering what gluten-free menu items they offer, be sure to check out my Gluten-free Restaurant Guide. I’ve outlined all the gluten-free options from 45+ popular restaurants and fast food chains.
- Gluten-free Fast Food: Options from Major Chains
- Gluten and Dairy-free Diet: 4 Restaurant Tips
- Applebee’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Arby’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Blaze Pizza Gluten-free Menu Items
- Boston Market Gluten-free Menu Items
- Buffalo Wild Wings Gluten-free Menu Items
- Burger King Gluten-free Menu Items
- California Pizza Kitchen Gluten-free Menu Items
- Cheesecake Factory Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chick-Fil-A Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chilis Gluten-free Menu Items
- Chipotle Gluten-free Menu Items
- Cracker Barrel Gluten-free Menu Items
- Crumbl Cookies Gluten-free Menu Items
- Culver’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Denny’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Domino’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Dunkin Donuts Gluten-free Menu Items
- Einstein Bros Bagels Gluten-free Menu Items
- Firehouse Subs Gluten-free Menu Items
- Five Guys Gluten-free Menu Items
- IHOP Gluten-free Menu Items
- Jack In The Box Gluten-free Menu Items
- Jimmy John’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- KFC Gluten-free Menu Items
- Little Caesar’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Longhorn Steakhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- McDonald’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- MOD Pizza Gluten-free Menu Items
- Nothing Bundt Cakes Gluten-free Menu Items
- Olive Garden Gluten-free Menu Items
- Outback Steakhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- Panda Express Gluten-free Menu Items
- Panera Gluten-free Menu Items
- Papa Johns Gluten-free Menu Items
- Papa Murphy’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- P.F. Chang’s Gluten-free Menu Items
- Pizza Hut Gluten-free Menu Items
- Qdoba Gluten-free Menu Items
- Red Lobster Gluten-free Menu Items
- Red Robin Gluten-free Menu Items
- Ruby Tuesday Gluten-free Menu Items
- Shake Shack Gluten-free Menu Items
- Smashburger Gluten-free Menu Items
- Sonic Gluten-free Menu Items
- Starbucks Gluten-free Menu Items
- Subway Gluten-free Menu Items
- Taco Bell Gluten-free Menu Items
- Texas Roadhouse Gluten-free Menu Items
- Wendy’s Gluten-free Menu Items