Get a list of gluten-free spaghetti sauce brands and varieties to help you make sure your pasta dish is safe for your gluten-free diet.
Note: I am a proud Amazon, Chomps, MunkPack, and Thrive Market affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy here.
If you love to make spaghetti or pasta for dinner often, you’re not alone. One of my family’s go-to meals is spaghetti with meat sauce since it’s quick and easy with a package of spaghetti noodles and a jar of spaghetti sauce.
Though gluten is most certainly hanging out in most spaghetti noodle packages (unless they’re labeled as gluten-free), what about the spaghetti sauce?
Is spaghetti sauce gluten-free? Can you make homemade gluten-free spaghetti sauce? Is store-bought spaghetti sauce gluten-free?
We’re going to answer all of these questions here in this post. Find out what spaghetti sauce is made of, if it’s safe for a gluten-free diet, and what brands from the store are gluten-free to help you make quick decisions next time you’re shopping.
What is spaghetti sauce made of?
Spaghetti sauce is a tomato-based sauce that can contain meat or not. It’s most often flavored with garlic, onions, and herbs like oregano and basil. A recipe for spaghetti sauce can be extremely unique depending on what a person prefers to add to theirs.
For example, some folks added ground beef to theirs while others opt for Italian sausage. Other people may choose to have their spaghetti sauce be completely meatless, more like a marinara sauce.
You can get creative with ingredients too, like adding sugar to sweeten your sauce, or different herbs or extra veggies, like bell peppers or mushrooms to your sauce.
Spaghetti sauce can be thin or thick depending on the consistency you prefer, and you can buy jarred sauces in varying flavors and consistencies. Homemade spaghetti sauce and jarred spaghetti sauce will have similar ingredients, but those that come from the store will likely have more preservatives.
The ingredients of jarred spaghetti sauce will vary by brand and by flavor, but to get on the same page, let’s take a look at the ingredients of three popular brands.
Classico Traditional Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce ingredients
“Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), diced tomatoes (tomatoes, tomato juice, citric acid, calcium chloride), sugar , contains less than 2% of: onions, salt, basil, spices, garlic, olive oil, granulated onion, granulated garlic.”
Ragu Old World Style Traditional Sauce ingredients
“Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), salt, olive oil, sugar, dehydrated onions, dehydrated garlic, spices, garlic powder, onion powder.”
Prego Traditional Italian Tomato Sauce ingredients
“Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), diced tomatoes in tomato juice, sugar, canola oil, contains less than 1% of: salt, onions, spices, citric acid, dried garlic, onion extract, garlic extract.”
What is gluten?
Gluten is a protein found in most wheat products, and acts as the “glue” that helps to hold wheat, barley, kamut, spelt, farro, durum, bulgur, rye, and semolina together to maintain their shape.
You can find gluten in whole grains, but also in many processed foods as well. If you purchase wheat bread, there will be gluten in it, because wheat by nature has gluten.
Many processed foods have hidden gluten in them in the form of gluten or wheat derivatives. These are also in the form of flavorings, binders to keep ingredients together, or other additives.
Is spaghetti sauce gluten-free?
Homemade spaghetti sauce is very easy to make gluten-free, because the main ingredients of tomato sauce, meat, herbs, onions and garlic are all naturally gluten-free. Find a recipe to make your own from scratch if you want to be certain you’re keeping with your gluten-free diet.
Spaghetti sauce options from the store are generally naturally gluten-free, so this isn’t a food you’ll need to worry too much about on your gluten-free diet.
That said, since spaghetti sauce from the store is a processed food, it’s always a good idea to review ingredients lists for any hidden names of gluten and to look for a gluten-free label.
A gluten-free label will tell you that there’s less than 20ppm of gluten in that product, as required by the FDA.
Read on: Gluten-free pasta: brands & options
Read on: Is alfredo sauce gluten-free?
Read on: Gluten-free noodles: options & brands
Can I make homemade gluten-free spaghetti sauce?
Absolutely! Making homemade gluten-free spaghetti sauce is as simple as sauteing onions and garlic, browning meat, adding tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes, and herbs. All of these ingredients are naturally gluten-free making your sauce gluten-free as well.
This is one of my favorite spaghetti sauce recipes where I use a jarred sauce and add my own veggies, meat, and seasonings to make it my own: Meat & Veggie Spaghetti.
Can I buy gluten-free spaghetti sauce?
There are a number of gluten-free spaghetti sauce options on the market, so it’s pretty easy to find one that will work for your diet.
Before buying a jar of spaghetti sauce, be sure to review ingredients lists for any hidden names of gluten. You can also look for a gluten-free label on the packaging and that will tell you that it’s been tested to contain less than 20ppm of gluten, making this safe for folks on a gluten-free diet.
Brands of gluten-free spaghetti sauce
There are a number of gluten-free spaghetti sauce options available, and you can buy many of these at your local grocery store.
Let’s go through a list of some brands of spaghetti sauce that have a gluten-free label or note that they are gluten-free on their website to help you make a quick and informed decision next time you’re looking for a shortcut for your spaghetti dinner.
- Classico Family Favorites Parmesan & Romano Smooth & Rich Pasta Sauce
- Classico Family Favorites Meat Smooth & Rich Sauce
- Classico Family Favorites Traditional Smooth & Rich Pasta Sauce
- Classico Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Classico Four Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Classico Caramelized Onion & Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Classico Florentine Spinach & Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Classico Vodka Pasta Sauce
- Classico Spicy Red Pepper Pasta Sauce
- Classico Spicy Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- Classico Traditional Sweet Basil Pasta Sauce
- Classico Marinara Pasta Sauce with Plum Tomatoes & Olive Oil
- Classico Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- Classico Italian Sausage Pasta Sauce with Peppers & Onions
- Classico Portobello Crimini & Champignon Mushroom Pasta Sauce
- Classico Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Classico Riserva Vine Ripened Tomato Marinara Pasta Sauce
- Classico Riserva Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Classico Riserva Spicy Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce
- Cucina Antica Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- Cucina Antica Garlic Marinara Pasta Sauce
- Cucina Antica Spicy Arrabbiata Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Meat Flavored Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Garden Combo Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Original Recipe Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Mushroom Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Sweet & Tasty Tomato Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Three Cheese Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- Franceso Rinaldi Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Pasta Sauce
- Mezzetta Artisan Ingredients Italian Plum Tomato Marinara
- Mezzetta Artisan Ingredients Parmigiano Reggiano Marinara
- Mezzetta Artisan Ingredients Truffle, Porcini & Cream Marinara
- Mezzetta Artisan Ingredients Caramelized Onion Marinara
- Mezzetta Artisan Ingredients Spicy Italian Plum Tomato Marinara
- Mezzetta Artisan Ingredients Whole Garlic & Sweet Basil Marinara
- Mezzetta Family Recipes Marinara Sauce
- Mezzetta Family Recipes Spicy Marinara Sauce
- Mezzetta Family Recipes Tomato Basil Sauce
- Mezzetta Family Recipes Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Mezzetta Family Recipes Wild Mushroom Sauce
- Mezzetta Family Recipes Three Cheese Sauce
The following are listed as gluten-free on the Newman’s Own website.
- Newman’s Own Organic Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- Newman’s Own Organic Olive Oil, Basil & Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Newman’s Own Organic Marinara Pasta Sauce
- Newman’s Own Vodka Sauce
- Newman’s Own Tomato & Basil Pasta Sauce
- Tomato & Roasted Garlic Pasta Pasta Sauce
- Newman’s Own Sockarooni Pasta Sauce
- Newman’s Own Marinara Pasta Sauce
- Newman’s Own Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic Pasta Sauce
The sauces listed below are those that come up when using the filters on the Prego website as gluten-free products.
- Prego Tomato, Onion & Garlic Italian Sauce
- Prego Creamy Vodka Sauce
- Prego Cremini Pomodoro With Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Prego Fresh Mushroom Italian Sauce
- Prego Italian Sauce Flavored with Meat Sauce
- Prego Italian Sausage & Garlic Meat Sauce
- Prego Lower Sodium Traditional Italian Sauce
- Prego Marinara Italian Sauce
- Prego Mushroom & Green Pepper Sauce
- Prego+ Hidden Super Veggies Traditional Italian Sauce
- Prego Garlic & Herb Italian Sauce
- Prego Roasted Garlic Parmesan Italian Sauce
- Prego Farmer’s Market Garlic Sauce
- Prego Sensitive Recipe Traditional Italian Sauce
- Prego Three Cheese Italian Sauce
- Prego Tomato Basil Garlic Italian Sauce
- Prego Farmer’s Market Classic Marinara Sauce
- Prego No Sugar Added Traditional Italian Sauce
- Prego Garden Combo Italian Sauce
- Prego+ Plant Protein Traditional Italian Sauce
- Prego Creamy Tomato Basil Italian Sauce
- Prego Sweet Sausage and Roasted Peppers Pasta Sauce
- Prego Spicy Marinara Sauce
- Prego Traditional Italian Sauce
- Thrive Market Organic Vodka Pasta Sauce
- Thrive Market Organic Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce
- Thrive Market Organic Sicilian Gravy Pasta Sauce
- Thrive Market Organic Low FODMAP Marinara Sauce
- Thrive Market Organic Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce
- Thrive Market Organic Tuscan Pepper Pasta Sauce
- World Market Classic Marinara Pasta Sauce
- Victoria Marinara Sauce
- Victoria Low Sodium Marinara Sauce
- Victoria Vodka Sauce
- Victoria Fradiavolo Sauce
- Victoria Low Sodium Fradiavolo Sauce
- Victoria Low Sodium Tomato Basil Sauce
- Victoria Organic Pomodoro Sauce
- Victoria Organic Tomato Herb Sauce
- Victoria Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Victoria Tomato Basil Sauce
If you’ve been looking to find out if spaghetti sauce is gluten-free and which brands are safe for you to continue eating on your gluten-free diet, I hope this post has helped you get the information you’ve been looking for.
Remember most spaghetti sauce is made without gluten ingredients, especially if it’s homemade. However, it’s always a good idea to review ingredients lists or look for a gluten-free label to help you determine if you’ll want to purchase certain brands.