Chia pudding is simple, requires very minimal time or prep. Best of all, it’s gluten-free dairy-free, and is extremely versatile – so you can flavor it however you like!
Note: I am a proud Amazon affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you in this post. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy here.
Chia pudding is one of my favorite breakfast and dessert recipes to make on my dairy-free diet. I love it because it’s:
- Takes less than 5 minutes to prep
- Only uses 3 ingredients for the basic recipe
- The fridge does all the work for you
- Is great for breakfast
- Is great for dessert
- Super versatile for making whatever flavor you like
It couldn’t be simpler with only 3 ingredients – chia seeds, full-fat coconut milk, and maple syrup or honey. Even the sweetener here is optional, if you’d like it less sweet.
When you have just 3 ingredients, all you really need for this recipe is a jar and a whisk – and honestly, you don’t even need the whisk if you have a lid for your jar. You can just as easily add the ingredients to the jar, put the lid on, and shake the dickens out of it before putting it in the fridge for the night.
The prep time honestly takes less than 5 minutes the night before you want to eat it for breakfast, or in the morning if you plan to enjoy it for dessert. Have I said how versatile it is? Make it healthy for breakfast, make it decadent for dessert… how can you go wrong with a recipe that you can enjoy for breakfast AND dessert??
Here’s the best part… You can truly make it your own with different flavors like cocoa or cacao powder, vanilla extract, spices, any fresh fruit, nut butter for some extra protein, and you can even swap out the dairy-free milk for whatever YOU like. There are really no rules, just ratios to follow. Which might be why I love these most of all I love being able to make things of my own!
Some of my all-time favorite chia pudding topping combinations are:
- Cacao powder stirred in + sliced bananas + toasted walnuts
- Vanilla extract stirred in + chopped strawberries or whole raspberries + a drizzle of peanut or almond butter on top
- Vanilla extract and cinnamon stirred in + chopped fresh peaches
- Peanut butter stirred in + fresh blueberries + a dollop of jelly on top
- Chopped pineapple + toasted coconut
- Chopped mango + chopped strawberries + toasted pistachios
- Vanilla extract and cinnamon stirred in + baked chopped apples + toasted pecans on top
With those tasty topping ideas, I bet you’re wondering how to get started making this delicious breakfast – or dessert – treat ASAP, amiright?? So let’s get to it!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least four hours, overnight is better.
- When ready to serve, divide the pudding into two serving dishes. Add your choice of toppings and enjoy!
Whether you love to save time in the morning, are looking for something quick and easy as you head out for the day, or want to wow your family members with a healthy AND delicious dessert, this chia pudding won’t disappoint! Give it a try and let me know in the comments what you think!