Note: I am a proud Amazon affiliate and am happy to recommend their service and products to you. Please know that as an affiliate, I may receive a small commission on the products you purchase after clicking through my links. For more info, please see my disclosure policy here.
This time of year, one of my absolute favorite things is to sit down and enjoy a really cozy evening with a hot chocolate. And I know what you’re thinking: If you’re dairy free, can you really enjoy hot chocolate at home? Are there mixes for that?
…And the answer is YES!
While there’s a million and one recipes out there that you could try, I created my own a recipe to share with you today.
I’m excited to share it with you because not only have I made a base recipe that tastes amazing, but I also created a few variations from this recipe that you’re going to LOVE.
Of course, if you don’t want to make your own hot chocolate mix and buying a pre-made add-water-stir and you’re done option is better for you. Try out these options:
- Double Dutch Dark Chocolate Premium Hot Chocolate
- Coconut Cloud Dairy-free Vegan Instant Hot Cocoa Mix
- Lakanto Drinking Chocolate
This entire month has been all about hanging out in the evenings with my guys watching movies, doing puzzles, and building huge Lego sets. I have a 4 year old at home, so Legos are practically our life right now. It’s been so fun to have these low-key evenings where we’re spending time together and making our own versions of hot chocolate after dinner to settle in for a fun night together.
My son and I even made making this hot chocolate mix together a fun afternoon activity one day. And the best part is that it comes together so quickly. You just have to combine the ingredients, and pop it in your pantry. Then when you want a cup, you add your favorite warmed dairy-free milk, stir it up, and you’re done.
Now that I’ve made this mix, I plan to have this on hand all through the winter months, and especially the holidays.
Here’s how we put together our hot chocolate mix recipe.
Dairy-free Hot Chocolate Mix
Makes 16 servings
- Mix everything together in a sealed container.
- When you’re ready to make a cup, heat 1 cup dairy-free milk over the stove or in the microwave. Stir in 2 tbsp mix and stir well. Enjoy!
And of course, if you like things plain and simple like my son does, you can enjoy your mix just like this.
But if you like to make it unique and do your own thing, try out any of these following 7 ideas to make it your own.
7 Flavor Variations for Dairy-free Hot Chocolate
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Add tsp peppermint extract
- Mexican Hot Chocolate: Add tsp cinnamon to the mix before you add the warm milk
- Vanilla Hot Chocolate: Add tsp vanilla extract
- Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate: Add 1 tbsp peanut butter
- Hazelnut Hot Chocolate: Add 1 tbsp vegan chocolate hazelnut butter
- Amaretto Hot Chocolate: Add 2 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
- Irish Cream Hot Chocolate: Add 2 tbsp Almande Irish Cream liqueur
And of course, what’s hot chocolate without some marshmallow options..?
Here are 3 great options for gluten-free and dairy-free marshmallows:
If you’re a chocolate lover, I hope you love love love this post and get into your kitchen to start mixing up a batch right away! I had so much fun creating this recipe and sharing it with you.
If you loved this post, be sure to save it and share it on Pinterest. And if you want even more recipes and support going – and staying – gluten and dairy-free, be sure to check out my free class I’m running this holiday season: 10 Secrets to Surviving the Holidays Gluten and Dairy-free.