This week, my husband was traveling out of town for work, which meant that I was flying solo at home. Once he came home, he was telling me all about how he had the best Thai takeout one of the nights he was away. His story reminded me how much we don’t enjoy Thai food enough on a regular basis, because most of the time Thai restaurants use gluten-filled soy sauce. And while I can handle it in some small quantities, going out to eat can be on the expensive side and I’d rather avoid gluten at all costs if I can help it.
Since one of my go-to strategies for maintaining a gluten-free dairy-free diet is to make my own safe versions of my favorite restaurant dishes at home, I decided we’d start doing a “takeout at home” night once or twice a month. This time we did Thai takeout with Pad Thai noodles – and it was amazing!
This Thai Takeout night was one of my all-time favorite meals we’ve had in a long-time for a few reasons:
- I love Thai food so it felt like an amazing treat to have at home
- I’ve never tried to make Thai food at home and it was fun to see that it couldn’t be as hard as I’d made it out to be in my head
- I got to use my favorite kitchen tool – my Instant Pot – for the main dish
- I found a brand-new go-to recipe from an awesome blogger whose website is jam-packed with awesome recipes and meal prep ideas – Taylor from The Girl on Bloor
- I was able to swap out regular soy sauce for gluten-free soy sauce AND use a gluten-free Pad Thai sauce to make sure it was 100% safe
- My husband and son were actually invested in helping make dinner, because we made it ‘special’ like going out to eat would be
- We made a special Thai Iced Tea to go along with our Thai themed dinner – and it was vegan, so dairy-free friendly too
We really enjoyed Thai Takeout at Home night. I already have plans to try an Indian food night and Chinese food night. If you’ve been dying for some Thai food, I highly recommend checking out the recipe and making your own gluten-free takeout you can make at home.
If you loved this post, be sure to enroll in my FREE 4-part workshop GFDF Made Easy, including how to read ingredient lists and the many names of gluten below.
GFDF Made Easy: FREE 4-part Workshop
Ready to take on gluten-free dairy-free diet with ease?
This workshop is now OPEN for enrollment. Enter your details to get access to this completely free 4-part video workshop when it becomes available on September 3rd!