Buying coffee drinks can get expensive. Between my husband and I, we can easily spend close to $10 on two drinks if we visit a Starbucks. But we both love the flavor of peppermint mochas in the winter. So what’s a girl to do?
I could easily head to the grocery store and buy a pre-made creamer from the dairy section, but unfortunately they are so jam-packed with chemicals and sugar that I won’t touch them with a ten-foot pole.
What did I decide to do instead? I got a little creative in the kitchen and whipped up a much healthier alternative to the Starbucks peppermint mocha flavored drink. Plus – it’s going to save me some extra cash to spend on some even-better Christmas presents.
Here’s how it came together:
Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer Recipe
- 2 cups of sweetened vanilla coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa or cacao powder
- 1/4 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- Add coconut milk to a saucepan and gradually heat over medium heat.
- Add the cocoa or cacao, peppermint extract, and maple syrup. Whisk to combine ingredients, about 2-3 minutes.
- Funnel into a jar for storage (I like using mason jars) and refrigerate. Creamer will last 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator.
This recipe is delicious in coffee, but is even excellent on its own! I couldn’t believe how heavenly the house smelled even just mixing this up on the stove top.
If you’re a fan of Starbucks peppermint mochas, give this recipe a try. You really will thank yourself for saving some money, keeping it healthier, and still enjoying the flavor of Christmas in a cup.
Have you ever tried making your own coffee drinks at home? What is your favorite holiday beverage?
Leave a Reply