Today I’m kicking off a very special challenge today – a Green Smoothie Challenge! This is a simple challenge where I’m committing to starting my month off with 7 straight days of green smoothies to reap the excellent health benefits of getting my greens in!
Greens in any form are great for you, but I particularly love getting them through smoothies, because that means I’m not limited to eating them only for lunch or dinner. With smoothies, I’m far more likely to grab one for breakfast, lunch, or a mid-day snack.
So why green smoothies instead of fruit smoothies that we’re all so familiar with?
Leafy greens are great for:
- Blood purification
- Cancer prevention
- Improved circulation
- Strengthened immune system
- Promotion of healthy intestinal flora
- Promotion of subtle, light and flexible energy
- Lifted spirit and elimination of depression
- Improved liver, gall bladder and kidney function
- Cleared congestion, especially in lungs by reducing mucus
Okay – here’s the smoothie I’m enjoying today – the properly named “My Favorite Green Smoothie,” because – well, it is.
My Favorite Green Smoothie
- 1/2 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mango chunks
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1/2 cup soaked oatmeal
- Combine all ingredients except honey into blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Test sweetness, then add honey to taste.
Want to join me on my Green Smoothie Challenge? Grab your blender, get some greens and fruit – and get to blending! Check in all this week for more recipes and tell me how your experience is going!